Omega-3 and Omega-6 Must be Balanced - Omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 turned out to have functions related to each other. Both work together to maintain healthy skin, nails, hair, hormones, alleviate symptoms of asthma, and prevent cell damage in people with cancer.
"All of these positive benefits we can get, if the ratio of omega-3 and 6 balanced. The ratio of the so-called balanced, experts are still different opinions. Some say 2.5 to 1, the rate of 2.5 for the omega-6 and 1 for omega-3. There is also a say 4 to 1, "said Emma Wirakusumah, M. Sc, a nutritionist from the IPB.
Though destined to be complementary, in fact the omega-3 and omega-6 are also competing. Omega-6 is suspected as the cause of inflation, while omega-3 is believed to prevent inflation. So that victory is in "hand" omega-3, we have to multiply the intake. Moreover, omega-3 can only be obtained from sources outside the body, such as:
1. Greens Vegetables
Including beans and potatoes. Omega-3 in the vegetable form is alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). In the body, ALA is converted into EPA and DHA.
2. Organic Meat
Cows that eat grass to produce meat, milk, and cheese are more rich in omega-3 compared with fed cattle feed or corn plant. Similarly, chickens fed with greens mixture.
If we are eating a low omega-6, the consumption of two servings of fish a week is enough. But, if our diet high in omega-6 should we eat more than 2 servings of fish and multiply the vegetables.
Meanwhile, there are several steps to reduce omega-6
1. Replace ordinary cereals containing flaxseed.
2. Avoid junk food because it is usually high in omega-6
3. Select potato chips fried in canola oil instead of regular cooking oil.
4. Avoid margarine.
5. Consume walnuts
6. Make it a habit to check labels before buying food packaging. Avoid content of hydrogenated oil (oil that is processed with high pressure hydrogen)
7. We recommend the consumption of marine fish, freshwater fish cultivation. Generally, fish fed with water processed corn or soybeans.
Technorati Tags: Omega 3, omega 6, omega3 and omega 6, fish, green vegetable, meat organic